WHAT IS RAGGING?
RAGGING BEING A COGNIZABLE OFFENCE & SOCIAL MALAISE IS TOTALLY PROHIBITED IN THE INSTITUTE
Ragging is totally prohibited in Govt Polytechnic Hamirpur, inside and / or outside the campus and anyone found guilty of ragging and / or abetting ragging whether actively or passively, or being a part of conspiracy to promote ragging, is liable to be punished in accordance with UGC Regulations 2009 as well as under the provisions of any penal law for the time being in force. Govt Polytechnic Hamirpur ensures that the congenial and welcoming environment is given to the fresher.
- Creating ragging free atmosphere in and outside the campus.
- Creating awareness among students regarding acts and punishments pertaining to ragging activities.
- Creating cordial relations among students for fulfilling organizations mission and objectives.
- Creating awareness among students regarding how the self confidence of the individual influences the national interest.
MEANING OF RAGGING:
“Ragging is any disorderly conduct,whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any student,indulging in rowdy or indisciplined activities which cause or likely to cause annoyance hardshipor psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereofin a fresher or a junior student and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the psyche of a fresher or a junior student”
————-Supreme Court of India
Measures to Stop Ragging
- Anti Ragging Committee is constituted with the representatives of faculty members, representative of student’s category as well as senior students.
- The mobile numbers of all the committee members are given to the fresher’s to contact when the need arises and are also displayed at prominent places in the campus.
- Anti ragging squads have been constituted comprising of faculty members to make surprise visits to very sensitive location within the campus and outside the campus.
- Number of banners giving detailed descriptions of anti-ragging activities. Supreme Court directives and penalty liable to be imposed on those involved in such activities, have been displayed at various places within the campus.
PUNISHMENTS FOR RAGGING
- Every single incident of ragging, a FIR shall be lodged without exception by the college authorities with the local police. In addition one or any combination of the following punishments can be awarded:
- Cancellation of admission.
- Suspension from attending classes.
- Withholding / withdrawing scholarship / fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test / examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension / expulsion from the hostel.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters.
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
ANTI RAGGING COMMITTERE:-
ANTI RAGGING SQUARD:-